Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hearts and Minds, Maria V.A. Johnson


 

Today I am reviewing Hearts and Minds, written by Indie author and poet Maria V.A. Johnson.  Various events have conspired this week to put me into a contemplative mood, and that is when I reach for the poetry. I found this to be the perfect book to sooth and refresh my spirit.

THE BLURB: The most important human experiences of love and death are beautifully explored in this anthology. With carefully selected and themed sections: Loss; Love; Lyrical; and Life, the emotions invoked by the words as they flow over the page will touch your heart.

WHAT I LIKED:

I was struck by the beautifully crafted poem, The Chair. In the first few lines, we come to know the elderly person who once owned the chair, and in the final lines we feel the sense of loss the observer feels as they look upon the chair whose owner has now passed on. It is poignant, yet not maudlin, allowing the reader to absorb the scene of the chair, the reading glasses and the emptiness of the room.

Ode to my Bookcase brought a smile to my face, as I could totally relate to the sentiments expressed.  I too love my bookcase and the contents therein!

Bullied is a raw look at the emotional baggage that comes along with being the outcast, the one picked on at school. This one brought tears to my eyes.

This is the perfect book for a contemplative day. The compilation is divided into four sections: Loss, Love, Lyrical and Life, though many of the poems and odes span the boundaries between them all.

Hearts and Minds is available in both paperback and for the Kindle, both are very reasonably priced. Maria V. A. Johnson is a contributing author on the anthology The Other Way IsEssex, and is also a well-known editor, most recently she was the editor of Heart Search – Lost, a paranormal romance by Carlie M.A. Cullen.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your sentiments completely, Connie. You can feel the emotion in some of the pieces, but it's never overdone or mushy. The images Maria paints through her words are powerful and compelling.
    A great review!

    ReplyDelete

As a courtesy to the hardworking authors whose works are celebrated here, comments on The Dark Side Book Reviews should pertain ONLY to the books reviewed and referenced in the post you are commenting on.